The Metalliferous Hills Jug Band (or Jug Band dalle Colline Metallifere, JBCM, in Italian) is an international and inter-generational collective proposing a combination of music and environmental practice, where melody, rhythm, storytelling and science outreach are merged in one situation.
The JBCM was launched 2018, after three years of preparation, merging different expertise by professionals with multiple years of research experience on environmental, territorial, rural, and musical issues, and over ten years proposing interdisciplinary events for territorial promotion. Last year it proposed the “geomusic” format in some thirty situations, ranging from concert stages to university lectures.
Il progetto Jug Band Colline Metallifere nasce nel 2018, dopo tre anni di preparazione, dalla fusione di percorsi professionali diversi, con molti anni di ricerca su ambiente, ruralità e musica e oltre dieci anni di esperienza nel proporre eventi interdisciplinari per la promozione del territorio. Nello scorso anno ha proposto il format della “geomusica” in una trentina di situazioni, spaziando fra palchi e cattedre universitarie.
In the week-end between February and March the JBCM proposed a twin set of events which, combined, will provide almost 24 hours to experiment music and mapping.
The first meetup will be on Saturdaty, Feb. 29 from 6PM at Bar Moderno in Roccastrada (GR). Here there will be a first round in the creation of a community map. On this map residents can indicate names and places out of official cartography, but representing an asset important for the locals and interesting for visitors who like to have a “bottom up” view of places.
The team animating the Jug Band has been active for years in this documentation activity in areas around Roccastrada (namely in the Farma Valley, and in Tatti). Hunters, mushroom seekers and other experts of these surroundings are invitate to come and populate the map, followed by a JBCM live set.
In the afternoon of Sunday March 1, there will be a réprise in Massa Marittima (GR) at the AUSER centre from 5PM. This event will be more focused on music, with two live sets, one more with a rock-blues flavour, and the second dedicated to Lucio Dalla. In any case, the Jug Band will be available to provide information on their maps and other territorial issues with their “info point”. In parallel, it will be possible to have some insights on the mission which the JBCM is preparing to Germany, code name “Brezel tour 2020“.
For more information: email@example.com or +393317539228
(header photo by Federico Giussani)
- Apr. 30, 2022: Jug Band Colline Metallifere Trio @ Enoteca Le Volte, Roccatederighi (Southern Tuscany)
- The “Never ending Trentinos Tour” (ConcerPT @ Foradori, Mezzolombardo, Trento, Italy, Apr. 8, 2022)
- Dec. 30, 2021: M(‘)appare la Val di Farma, Torniella, Tuscany
- Dec. 28, 2021 – Follonica (Tuscany) M(‘)appare l’ex-ILVA
- Oct. 23, 2021 – Live @ Altrimondi, Follonica, feat. Klaus der Geiger
- Oct. 21, 2021. Enoteca degli Eretici, Monterotondo Marittimo, Tuscany
- Aug. 22, 2021 – Street Music in Massa Marittima
- Aug. 15, 2021 – Pineta Beach Bar, Grosseto, Tuscany
- Aug 14, 2021: Street Music in Massa Marittima
- Aug. 13, 2021 – Jug Band Colline Metallifere @ Francigena Music Festival (S. Quirico d’Orcia, Siena)
- Aug. 7-8 2021:
- Aug 15, 2021: Jug Band Colline Metallifere @ Pineta Beach Bar, Marina di Grosseto
- Geomusic @ Molinpresso – a few shots from the event
- Street Music in Tatti, Tuscany, June 25, 2021
- Jug Band Colline Metallifere Duo live @ Barlume, Marina di Carrara, May 23, 2021
- AJBCM Delegation at the European Citizen Science Association conference
- Mauro T. attends his first European citizen science teleconference
- Feb. 29, 2020: Jug Band Colline Metallifere @ Bar Moderno, Roccastrada, Tuscany
- March 1, 2020: Jug Band Colline Metallifere in Massa Marittima, Tuscany
- Feb. 8, 2020. Jug Band Colline Metallifere @ Le Volte Wine Bar, Roccatederighi, Tuscany
- Dec. 29, 2019 – Altrimondi, Follonica
- Dec. 28, 2019 @ Birra e Basta, Grosseto
- Dec. 27, 2019 – Jug Band Colline Metallifere live @ Garabombo, Albinia
- Dec. 13, 2019: Jug Band Colline Metallifere live @ Neibar, Venturina Terme
- Nov. 9, 2019 JBCM @ Bar Dribbling Grosseto
- An evening for Lucio (Montemassi, July 12, 2019)
- Grape Session
- JBCM @ Tatti Café & Bar, Stuttgart, Jun. 2, 2019
- JBCM @ Völkleswaldhof bei Oberrot (Jun. 2, 2019)
- Jun. 1, 2019, Brautage, Ludwisgburg
- Jun. 1, 2019, Salento Restaurant, Vaihingen am der Enz
- Street Music in Ludwigsburg
- May 31, 2019. JBCM Live @ Tender, Sachsenheim
- The Lecture “from Sound Engineering to Engineering with Sound” – how did it go
- Jug Band Colline Metallifere in Tatti, May 25, 2019
- May 4, 2019 – JBCM Trio @ Caffè Ricasoli, Grosseto
- Apr. 28, 2019 – JBCM @ Bar Polo Punta Ala
- March 1, 2019 – M’Illumino di Meno, San Vincenzo
- Jan. 5, 2019 JBCM in Torniella
- Live @ Garabombo, Albinia, Jan 4. 2019
- Dec. 12, 2018 – the “1968” Anniversary Concert in Montemassi, Southern Tuscany
- Nov. 17, 2018 – Live @ Ganesh, Pomarance
- Nov. 1, 2018 Sassofortino
With a double-feature set on this round, and with an eye to latitude 48.78 North (see this link)
After last Spring’s experience, also this year the Metalliferous Hills Jug Band will go to Germany, returning to the area north of Stuttgart.
We have been invited to take part in the celebrations for the seventieth anniversary of Huober Brezel, the only German produce of organic brezel.
We will be with the Huober brothers on Saturday, July 11.
Meanwhile, we are working on more events to be connected to this geoperformance, or before (considering our departure from Italy on July 9), or after. Where? In Germany or along the way, following one of the routes between Tatti, Southern Tuscany, and Erdmannhausen, 30 kilometers North of Stuttgart.
As usual, the keywords for events which can be related to our tour are music (mostly rock-blues, but not only), relationships between territories, environment, agriculture…and whatever you find presented on jugbandcm.it.
Should you be interested to take part in this project, to support it, or just to follow its developments, please check out our web site for more information, and then write to firstname.lastname@example.org or call +39 331 75 39 228.
An article written for the Asia-Europe Cultural Foundation by Jack O’Malley, setting the Metalliferous Hills Jug Band (i.e.Jug Band Colline Metallifere) in the “arts & technology” stream, and some personal anecdotes.
The article is available here.
Sometime after the end of the show at Enoteca le Volte, Roccatederighi, Tuscany, Feb. 8, 2020
Kudos to Cinzia Ferrari for the video.