Since October 2017 I am providing IT support to IRIS Ambiente for the design of trails. The support includes production of digital maps, report automation and spatial analysis via Geographic Information Systems.
The Farma Valley Community Map was created by using as a base map the current Tuscan administration official base maps (1:10000 scale), interviewing the elders of the three villages (Torniella, Piloni, and Scalvaia), in order to document points of interest and other information which does not exist in the official maps, but is relevant for the locals.
The toponyms thus produced are also published on the Regione Toscana Open Data Portal.
Following a first data base created in 2015, the work saw a second round of activity during the 2016-2017 Winter. In 2017 the map is undergoing several integrations and additions.
For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please also refer to:
The article on the proceedings of the INVOLEN international conference on environmental education (Florence, Italy, Sep. 2015): Integrating Culture Environment and Open Innovation for Awareness Raising: a Case from the Farma Valley, Tuscany
and more posts from the pibinko.org blog:
http://www.pibinko.org/the-first-hard-copy-steps-for-the-farma-valley-tuscany-community-map/ for more recent updates
or write to email@example.com for additional information.
(Since February 2008)
In 2008 I created and launched the BuioMetria Partecipativa (BMP) project.
The project is a combination of awareness raising, participatory light pollution monitoring, and promotion of dark-sky areas.
It is primarily focused on Italy in terms of monitoring area, but operates on an international scale in terms of vision and relations.
The project includes a web-GIS for an interface for data upload, visualization, reporting, and download. The project also has a robust communication plan, including numerous outreach events in Italy and abroad.
The project has undergone several phases:
- Feb. – May 2008: Idea and design (Giacomelli, Giubbilini, Delucchi)
- Summer 2008 – Spring 2011: activities in a “non structured” mode (Giacomelli, Giubbilini, Delucchi)
- Spring 2011 – end of 2012: continuation of the activity with the creation of Attivarti.org as a managing organisation, and launch of the CORDILIT network (fixed rather than hand-held sensors). (Giacomelli, Giubbilini, Costa, Lombardelli)
- Early 2013 – end of 2016: in addition to the work under the Attivarti.org hat, we were invited in the Loss of the Night Network (ES-1204 Action of the EU COST programme), with the role of primary Management Committee member representing Italy. (Giacomelli, Spinosi, Pocci, Bartalucci)
- Following the Farma Valley Winter Fest, the project enters a phase, currently under definition during Winter 2016-2017. This is currently referred to as “BuioMetria Partecipativa Reloaded”.
- In May 2017 a memorandum of understanding was signed between Attivarti.org (the NGO managing the non-profit part of the project) and the Institute of Biometeorology of the Italian Research Council. This follows a similar document signed with the University of Pisa at the end of 2015 (see article on the International Journal of Sustainable Lighting, Feb. ’17).
- The main activity for 2018 was the organization and promotion (together with CNR IBIMET and University of Pisa) of a Symposium on protection and promotion of night sky, held on Capraia Island (Tuscany)
- …check out the “News/blog” sections of pibinko.org and Attivarti.org (generally maintained both in Italian and English)
For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
The event was in collaboration with the Band of Torniella, the Riflessi photo club in Grosseto and Etruschi from Lakota.
Numerous blog posts are available on the event, which also had relevant media exposure in Tuscany (with three quasi-complete pages on Il Tirreno, which is not bad for an extremely unlikely event).
All the documentation can be traced following the fdi-vdf tag.
Jan. 2013 – Oct. 2016
As principal representative for Italy in the Management Committe of the Loss of the Night network I have
- Actively attended the MC meetings
- Given lectures in an international Summer School for lighting designers
- Promoted and co-ordinated, together with CNR-IBIMET in Florence, an experimental campaign for night sky quality monitoring
- Established collaborations with universities (Scuola Superiore di Mediazione Linguistica e Dept. of Biology in Pisa)
- Undertaken outreach activities
In collaboration with IRIS Ambiente:
A presentation of the project for the Municipality of Castelnuovo Val di Cecina, South of Pisa, concerning the revision of some 80 km of trekking network.
The project implied a series of GPS surveys, the creation of a GIS data set combining the survey with pre-existing cartography, update photographic documentation, and the creation of a maintenance plan highlighting priority actions and more long-term activities for the promotion of the network.
For more information: email@example.com
Design, development, and maintenance of the web site for the Toscana Foto Festival
I translated from English into Italian the OSM – OpenStreetMap WordPress plugin by Michael Kang (MiKa)
Design, development, and maintenance of the LO-FI Club website (WordPress + customizations), including running a weekly newsletter.