(Since February 2008)
In 2008 I created and launched the BuioMetria Partecipativa (BMP) project.
The project is a combination of awareness raising, participatory light pollution monitoring, and promotion of dark-sky areas.
It is primarily focused on Italy in terms of monitoring area, but operates on an international scale in terms of vision and relations.
The project includes a web-GIS for an interface for data upload, visualization, reporting, and download. The project also has a robust communication plan, including numerous outreach events in Italy and abroad.
The project has undergone several phases:
- Feb. – May 2008: Idea and design (Giacomelli, Giubbilini, Delucchi)
- Summer 2008 – Spring 2011: activities in a “non structured” mode (Giacomelli, Giubbilini, Delucchi)
- Spring 2011 – end of 2012: continuation of the activity with the creation of Attivarti.org as a managing organisation, and launch of the CORDILIT network (fixed rather than hand-held sensors). (Giacomelli, Giubbilini, Costa, Lombardelli)
- Early 2013 – end of 2016: in addition to the work under the Attivarti.org hat, we were invited in the Loss of the Night Network (ES-1204 Action of the EU COST programme), with the role of primary Management Committee member representing Italy. (Giacomelli, Spinosi, Pocci, Bartalucci)
- Following the Farma Valley Winter Fest, the project enters a phase, currently under definition during Winter 2016-2017. This is currently referred to as “BuioMetria Partecipativa Reloaded”.
- In May 2017 a memorandum of understanding was signed between Attivarti.org (the NGO managing the non-profit part of the project) and the Institute of Biometeorology of the Italian Research Council. This follows a similar document signed with the University of Pisa at the end of 2015 (see article on the International Journal of Sustainable Lighting, Feb. ’17).
- E’ in corso la “campagna buiometrica estiva 2017”
An update will be provided in February 2017. Should this page not be updated, please refere to the “News/blog” sections of pibinko.org and Attivarti.org (generally maintained both in Italian and English)
For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org